Holy Spirit College endeavours to facilitate a positive learning environment which provides inclusive programs that aim to assist all students to reach their full potential.
Holy Spirit College endeavours to provide for the full range of needs of gifted students, in order to benefit the individual student, the broader school community, and ultimately the society of the future.
In 2020 the College will introduce a Year 7 Enrichment Class. Students have the opportunity to remain in this class through to Year 10. Once in Year 11, students will select a course of study to meet their needs, interests and academic level for their Higher School Certificate. The Enrichment Class aims to provide a high quality, authentically rigorous educational programs for high ability students within a nurturing Catholic environment, thus enhancing the whole person. This program utilises best practice gifted and talented educational strategies, through specialist qualified staff, delivering a differentiated enrichment program to challenge and engage high ability students.
The Enrichment Class has both a literacy and numeracy stream. Students can be eligible for either or both streams. Student selection for the Enrichment Class is based on best international educational practice where a variety of selection criteria are utilised to ensure that placement is accurate and suited to the individual child’s ability. This includes a separate Ability Test designed by the Australian Council of Educational Research (ACER). This test is run early in the year after students have accepted their enrolment at the College. There is no fee for this examination. This program and staff training has been developed with the assistance of the University of NSW Gifted Education Research, Resource and Information Centre and Gateway Education.
The programming for these high ability students is strategically designed to engage and develop their area of talent. The College emphasises that students need to sustain their commitment to their studies to maintain their position in this class. Students will be completing common assessment experiences to ensure that all students have to opportunity to placed in the best learning environment to meet their needs.
– Only teachers with a Gifted and Talented qualification are able to teach this class
– Program delivery is specifically designed to meet the learning needs of high ability students
– Gifted and Talented educational strategies have been integral in the development of programs
– High ability students learn at a faster pace and require more rigor to maintain their interest and to be challenged to allow them to meet their learning potential
– Students (as are all students at Holy Spirit College) are monitored and supported to address their social and academic needs through the Colleges Pastoral Care System.
– Students have demonstrated academic potential in their specific domain (Literacy or Numeracy)
The Enrichment Classes run in the Key Learning Areas of Mathematics, English, HSIE & Science.